Saturday, February 7, 2009

Catching Up: Self-Portrait, Comfort, Dream, and Tradition

So I just joined this week and already I'm behind. I told Rachel that I probably won't be able to do all of the challenges in a timely manner, but I'll try my best to keep up. I had to cheat just a little bit. I took all of the pictures, but I didn't take them all this week. Some of the pictures are taken with my Nikon S3 (the best point and shoot) and others with the Nikon D90 (that my husband got me for Christmas and I am still trying to figure it out). Here goes:

Self Portrait



This was such a hard picture for me to take. Not just because I don't like pictures of myself, but also because it is really hard to take a picture of yourself. I ended up taking it with a self-timer on my point and shoot. Can I just say that I felt like a psycho sitting in my back yard smiling at a camera with no else around? The lighting was horrible.

My Comfort

This is my kittie Ani. She is the cuddliest little cat and before my husband moved in, she was my constant companion. Even now, when Rod is away for work, she comes and cuddles with me. It is a huge comfort. I like this picture because the red ribbon around Ani ties in with the red flowers behind her. I also like that you can see the detail in her whiskers.

Day Dreaming

My dream is to spend my days traveling. Because I didn't have any trips this week, you will have to settle for a picture from one of my last trips. I like this photo (even though it is a little dark), because the the fog lifting and the overcast sky add mystery to an already mysterious location.

(Non) Traditional

Most of my traditions center around holidays and annual parties, none of which were happening this week. Instead, I took a picture of my husband's latest meal (mussels and oysters). Growing up my family was very set in traditional gender roles. The women (me and my stepmom) cooked and cleaned, and the men (my dad and brothers) took out the trash and mowed the lawn. I always hated that my mom, who also worked full time, had to come home and make everyone dinner too. It didn't seem fair. So when I met Rod, I was amazed that he not only knows how to cook (really well), but he enjoys it. He also doesn't mind doing the dishes or cleaning. Again, this picture is not the best, but as you can see in the background, everyone was waiting to eat.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Glad to have you to our group! Its so fun! Wow all your pictures are great!! I love the one of your cat! Cute!

princess jen said...

Nice to meet you! I love the detail of the cat's whiskers and I really love the photo of dinner. Can't wait to see what you do next!

AprilF said...

Hi Jen! I love your day dreaming shot! You are so lucky that you've visited places as beautiful as that- and it sounds like you have a wonderful husband.

{Alynn} said...

Hey Jen! So great to see you here! Wait 'till you see the places she's been, girls! Amazing! Looking forward to some great stuff!!!

*Do you have any tricks to underwater photography? My hubby and I are taking a scuba trip soon (hopefully) and I'd love to take my camera this time!*

Jen said...

Alynn,

To be honest, I'm horrible at underwater photography. I took a class as part of my advanced diving certification and the pictures turned out horribly. You can check them out on my travel blog (www.whereisqt.blogspot.com). Let me know if you figure it out!