Thursday, July 23, 2009

Long ago Heartache


When I read this challenge I was stumped. I then thought of going to a cemetery. Everyone who has a grave, has people who are broken hearted still left behind.
I saw this grave and my heart just broke. It broke for the parents who must have died inside after their two sweet children died, just five days apart from each other. It broke for the dear little children who obviously must have suffered before the end came.

It makes me think that just 6 months ago, my children were almost these exact ages. I know that I would be a broken woman if they were taken from me at such a tender age.

In case you can't read it, this is what the tombstone reads:
William Badley
Died Dec. 3, 1844
Aged 5yrs. 7ds.

Amelia Isabella
Died Dec. 8, 1844
Aged 2 yr. 4mo. & 6ds.

Son and daughter of Alexander and Jane Arrison

Sleep, brother, sister, side by side,
No chance, no change can you divide;
Together in the dust you lie.
Together tread the courts on high.
If once the eye of faith could see
Your full, complete felicity.
How would our sad repinings cease.
And all our sighs be hushed in peace.

4 comments:

susan said...

very heartfelt photo very well done...

George and Teri said...

When I was out doing shots of my meth house...the cemetery is right across the street and I had the same thought as you... how heartbreaking to loose a child. I took a picute of a tombstone that belonged to a 5 year old and I was thinking about submitting it, but then I thought it would be really hurtful and sad if someone in our group had lost a child...so I didn't post it. I like your picture tho and the poem that was engraved on the tombstone.

Shelby said...

What a huge heartbreak......
Interesting the way things were phrased back then...

Teryn said...

I can't imagine how that family felt. I love that you found such an old headstone with such a beautiful poem.