Thursday, February 12, 2009

Success and Succession


This was amazingly tough for me!! I had NO idea what I was going to do, until I was cleaning. I found this trophy I won in a piano competition several years ago and it reminded me of a couple things:
1. I worked hard and had a feeling of success; and
2. I succeeded my piano teacher, not in the sense of taking her students, but that she passed on to me many techniques and also music for me to use when I teach my own students.
Actually taking the picture was also difficult for me; I had no idea how hard it is to NOT catch your own reflection in something like a trophy. But I did like the shadow effect in this one. It reminded me that, while I got much from my last teacher, I still feel like just a shadow of her, no matter how well I do. (Dang, that drifted pretty easily into the LAST challenge, didn't it?)
CC

6 comments:

Jenny and Travis said...

Way to go! And I thought you tied in the "success" part nicely. =)

George and Teri said...

This is a beautiful picture, I remember when I took piano lessons my teacher would give me the little statues of the famous composers and I loved it but your trophey is beautiful and well deserved.

{Alynn} said...

Congratulations on such a great accomplishment. That has to be about a thousand million hours on a hard paino bench! : )

I really like how soft this photo is with the contrast of the mettalic trophy. Nice.

(I see shadows every where I look now! Glad I'm not the only one!)

Mindy said...

Musical successes are great! I love your idea. One thing that might have looked neat is to shoot it from a lower angle, so the trophy looked bigger. ;)

Teryn said...

Cool picture Melinda- I love the desaturation too. Reflective surfaces are my nemesis- nicely done!

Ashton and Shanda Call Family said...

I agree with Mindy...maybe just a little different angle, but great idea! LOVE the shadows